The following criteria was used to select the countries for the Urban-LEDS project:
- Relevant and growing greenhouse gas emission profile
- General economic growth leading to relevant infrastructure decisions
- Leadership role in the international climate debate and climate negotiations
- Presence of ICLEI and UN-Habitat office and technical staff
- Existing contacts with and openness of national and state governments
- Existing contacts and history of cooperation with national-level networks of local governments
- Responded to Cancun Agreements by committing to developing NAMAs
- Involved in the Local Governments’ Mobilization and Backing for the Development and Implementation of a Global and Comprehensive post-2012 Climate Change Agreement [ENV/2008/151937] (optional)
Project cities selection
A number of selection criteria are used in the selection of cities in the Urban-LEDS project. In some countries, calls for expression of interest are issued while in others, cities are invited to the project in consultation with national government partners. Selection criteria included
- City size and urban and population growth rate,
- Regional connectivity,
- Political and institutional context,
- Degree of commitment to low emissions development,
- Synergies with other existing projects and initiatives.
- The selection criteria also introduced national considerations into the selection process with an aim of enhancing vertical and horizontal integration (multi-level governance) for integrated climate action.
European cities selection
The selection of the European cities to be involved has been finalized following the selection of the cities in the project countries. The selection criteria utilized for identifying these cities include: size, geographical distribution, climate, sector of expertise, variety of needs and challenges, best practices to share.
In particular, the aim of the selection was to ensure that the needs of the newly identified cities could be addressed by the European local governments (topic and available staff / time capacity). Furthermore, an assessment of the European cities based on topics of their interested and needs was conducted, as a means of ensuring bilateral maximum value from the exchange with cities from the Global South.