The Urban-LEDS II project addresses integrated low emission and resilient development in more than 60 cities in 8 countries: Brazil, India, Indonesia and South Africa (from Phase I) and countries added in Phase II: Bangladesh, Colombia, Lao PDR and Rwanda. In addition to these countries, 16 European cities will act as source cities and support peer-to-peer exchange and cooperation.
ICLEI and UN-Habitat work directly with cities to accelerate the low-emission development process. Peer-to-peer exchanges allow cities to learn from each other’s challenges and successes. In parallel, vertical integration of climate efforts among different levels of government provide sustainable benefits at the local and national level with impacts seen globally.
Selected cities receive tailor-made guidance and capacity building to consolidate or develop comprehensive Urban LEDS and integrated climate action plans using ICLEI’s GreenClimateCities (GCC) methodology. City climate strategies are integrated into existing development plans and processes, while new policies/laws necessary for the implementation of these strategies are identified.
An Urban Low Emissions Development Strategy (Urban LEDS) defines a pathway to transition a city to a low emission, resilient, green, and inclusive urban economy, through its integration into existing city development plans and processes. Although the name of the strategy may be different city to city, the intent of the development remains the same.
These are the project objectives of Urban-LEDS phase II. Please refer to Achievements of phase I to see what happened between 2012 and 2015.
- Daring Cities 2021 – How to start using climate and net-zero aligned clauses in your contracts | October 12th, 13:00 – 14:00 UTC+2
- Bridging the Gap – How to facilitate bankability of local climate action in Europe and beyond | October 27th, 16:00 – 17:30 UTC+2
- Daring Cities 2021 – The path to finance: How to pitch climate projects – TAP Asia-Africa pitch event | October 28th, 09:00 – 11:50 UTC+1
- Highlights from the Urban LEDS II International Networking Seminar
- Watch the exciting Project Videos as EU cities highlight their LEDS experience
- Released: Urban-LEDS II Newsletter #7 | February 2021